Stimulus control is a measure of behavioral management in the treatment of Insomnia. It simply means adjusting your pattern of behavior to promote a regular sleep schedule and refreshing sleep.
Stimulus Control Instructions:
1. Go to sleep only when you feel sleepy.
2. Do not use your bed or bedroom for anything except sleep (sexual activity is the only exception).
3. If you have not fallen asleep within approximately 20 minutes, get up and go into another room.
4. Engage in relaxing activities, such as non-work related light reading, and go back to bed when you feel sleepy or are ready for sleep. If you cannot fall back to sleep, repeat step 3.
5. Set your alarm for the same time each morning.